Sunday, October 24, 2010

The decision to buy a practical bike -

Once the decision has been made to purchase a bicycle, the first question to ask, is what is it's practical use? The last twenty bikes that I have purchased have been for 'racing', which was really a case of that being the prevailing culture in velodom, rather than that they were actually raced (they were, except for 2, not raced). This purchase has been different. I was honest, mature, and I took my time, did my homework. I already have a full compliment of racing machinery, and what I really needed was a practical means of getting around - a practical bicycle.

What is my perfect practical bicycle? Well, it needs to be comfortable to ride in all situations, safe to manouver through traffic, bumps and potholes.

This period photograph of a pair of 1932 Raleigh Sports gives a good idea of what the practical but stylish cyclist can achieve.

However, ideally I would prefer not to need to wear plus fours or tuck my trousers into my socks. I also need to carry stuff - so my practical bike must have a rack to carry a briefcase, or a tote bag, and I must be able to hop on it anytime, without needing to change my clothes, so it must have a fully enclosed chaincase.


This elegant Milanese gent has the right idea. I imagine that using a bicycle for him allows him to avoid the traffic and parking hassles of a car, and the dirt and enclosure of public transport, without having to make any sacrifices in his grooming or wardrobe. I wonder if that satchel briefcase is made especially to be slung over the top tube or is a regular model that he has installed that way?

I envisioned my typical trips with the bike - running errands in the village, to the farmer's market, the library, the post office and the bank. I also thought about longer rides to the local swimming pond, and a favourite lunch spot. I could also bring it with me on trips into town, riding around in a suit and tie.



Here is an early advertisement for a Raleigh Dawn R Toursit model. The enclosed chaincase is exactly what I am looking for, and the bicycle is of English manufacter, which suits me as I am both English and a New Englander. I will begin my search here...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Topics: